Google has turned the program into something of a game, but it will take some time before you earn the free storage space. Update to the latest version of Google Maps on your phone, and you’ll notice that there is a new Contributions option. Here you find out how you can earn points that can be used to level up and you’ll be rewarded in a number of ways.
On the Google Maps blog, Google reveals how the points system translates into rewards:
- Level 1 (0 – 4 points): Enter exclusive contests (think new Google devices!) in select countries.
- Level 2 (5 – 49 points): Get early access to new Google products and features.
- Level 3 (50 – 199 points): Show up in the Google Maps app with your official Local Guides badge.
- Level 4 (200 – 499 points): Receive a free 1 TB upgrade of your Drive storage, allowing you to keep all the stories, photos, and videos from your travels in one safe place.
- Level 5 (500+ points): The very top Local Guides will become eligible to apply to attend our inaugural summit in 2016, where you’ll be able to meet other top Guides from around the world, explore the Google campus, and get the latest info about Google Maps. Look out for details early next year.